Thursday, April 7, 2011

Of gems, promises and Bharat Ratna

A couple of days back I was at my jewelers’.  Neeta and Rajiv are first generation jewelers; the husband is a gemologist and the wife a jewelry designer. I like my visits to that place for one I get a smart salute from the tie clad retired subedar who is ‘head’ administration of the facility! Mythili and self have struck a friendship with N & R that on every visit we learn something new about gems. My wife is an ardent student of these precious stones, especially when they are set in gold! I am also blessed with two daughters who take after their mom in these matters!

For instance after the first few visits we know all about diamonds – the Belgian cut, VVS1, VVS2, VS, d,e, f ….., rough cut, uncut et al.

Since a few years, I have taken to wearing a couple of three rings on my fingers. One of the rings, the oldest to be precise, sports a coral. During my last visit Rajiv pointed out that my coral was not original and he proceeded to show us the ugly side of gems. Firstly my coral was just coral dust held together by glue and shaped! He then proceeded to painstakingly explain and demonstrate the range of precious stones, semi precious stones and non-precious stones.
Then I realised that just by calling a green stone emerald does not make it an emerald and you do not have to name an emerald for it be recognized as emerald! So much for Bharat Ratna.

On a day when Anna Hazare and millions of other Indian citizens are propelling a promising movement against corruption, no Indian in his right senses (after the hang over of world cup win) is happy that politicians are ‘promising’ ‘rewards’ (to earn brownie points? ). In Karnataka, a twice Olympic athlete and an Asian games medalist is running from pillar to post to get a legitimately paid for Bangalore Development Authority (BDA) plot..and the state CM has the temerity to illegally announce BDA plots to all members of the winning Indian cricket team. Rest assured most of theses announcements are just that…..announcements for political mileage. Almost all these promises are never kept…Ask Kapil Dev! The cricketers care two hoots for such announcements. They earn their wine and cheese elsewhere.

So, rest easy, all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment