Friday, August 12, 2011

God's own messengers!

I was in Kerala yesterday. They call it God’s own country.   It was raining when I landed there in the morning. It continued to rain while I was with the Gods in their country – isn't it actually my country? It was the same rain as in my pre-preteen and preteen years. I remember the very same smell I can smell even in my dreams.  A sudden desire to do nothing – nothing productive that is – engulfed me.  That is how Gods want Kerala to be. Those who want to work have to get out of that ‘country’. Those Gods there just do not like anybody working. Well aware of these feelings I do not carry my lap top to Kerala. That would be an affront to my Gods there. Statistics are rolled out to prove that Kerala consumes more alcohol than any other state in India. Well, I suppose tippling falls in the category of doing nothing.

Even during my sojourn amidst coconut groves, soaking in the monsoon and savouring ‘karimeen varuthate’ (A special fish fry) and kallu (toddy), further south in the Capital of the state,on the premises of the Padmanabhaswamy temple (famous for the new found treasure) priests and astrologers were closeted with the Gods as only they can to get Gods' mind on the treasure (the process is known a devaprasnam wherein these interlocutors of the sacred and heavenly bodies can converse directly with the Gods!). In the ‘press conference’ that followed it was revealed by these self style 'spokespersons'  that the Gods do not want the ‘treasure’ to leave the temple and the sixth vault (gold, silver et al worth over 1 lakh crore rupees were found in vaults 1 to 5 a few weeks earlier) was not to be opened! They claim that the treasures discovered at the temple must not be moved, or the wrath of the gods will be unleashed.

It is sad that some of us still live in the past (dark ages) and wait for a modern day Timur, Ghazni, Ghori or Clive to come and take it all away and watch history repeat itself.

"The wealth should not be displaced. The lord is not pleased with intrusion into the chambers that has already taken place. And none of the valuables should be exhibited within the temple or outside. If you do so you will go against the lord's will," said Padmnabha Sharma, Temple Astrologer.

I swear that was not what the Gods told me when we were sharing karimeen and kallu in the rain! Alas! nobody listens to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment