Friday, October 7, 2011

English – the language


“Chennai needs to be at their best against Cobras”; this message stared at me in the morning from the pages of the daily news paper as I sipped medicated tea which was to counter a bad throat ensued as a result of excess ice in my whisky the previous evening. I immediately called Venu the Bard to warn him of the Cobras going loose in Chennai if he already did not know. My first thoughts were that these slippery characters had escaped from the big and only so big snake park in the country located on the edge of the mega polis that is Chennai. It was then he told me that these were cricket teams fighting it out in the champions’ leagues T20 cricket tournament currently being held in India. I heaved a sigh of relief. Chennai super kings is a Chennai based team and Cape Cobras, as the name suggests, had come from he wilderness of South Africa, I was educated.

I wonder why our Home Minister is ‘at war’ with our finance minister, while the Indian Army is thought to be having a picnic in J&K. The Army is supposed to be at war and not civilized ministers or civil societies. But while these ministers are at war, it is the opposition who is constantly attacking the Government!!!! While the CBI grills Jaswant Singh, McDonalds are planning McDosa, Mcidli, Mcvada et al. Is the CBI into inventing more exotic fares in competition? When they are not attacking they are slamming the Government as if the Government was a garage door of he neighbour who always parks his car at the entrance to your driveway. If the parliament is in session some members of the opposition almost always jump into the well. How they are rescued is a matter of state secret. While with the parliament, it is intriguing why the speaker is called so when (s)he is only supposed to listen and not give speeches. 

This English language…..Oh! I held my head in my hands. That was when this little bird told me that the English know and understand very little of this language!!!!! Who then are we to fret and fume?

No comments:

Post a Comment