Monday, June 11, 2012

Grandma is not thawing!


Grandma (G) was in pain. Christiano Ronaldo’s (CR) Portugal had lost to Germany in its opening match vying for the Euro cup. It was well past midnight. She had something for CR since his ManU days and the kiss with Bipasha Basu. I tried to console her.
I: Graanmaa, this is only the first match and in any case two teams from each group will go into the next round…..
G: But son, with the Euro in such a bad shape why do they still call it Euro cup? They could have called it the ‘continental cup’, just as their breakfast is known. UK may object and that can be overruled as they are fielding a depleted team anyway.
I:  But Grandma, these guys think that this soccer tournament will give Euro a boost. See our sensex has recovered some since Euro cup!
G: What sensex…it neither makes sense now nor is it anymore sexy to play on the bourse. Your grandpa had both and this house he bought from sales proceeds of shares…ah! Those days!!!
I:  But Pranabda says “India’s growth story is intact”…
G: Oh! That fellow…he is upsetting my plans to be the President. Just wait and see. In two years he will become the Prime minister…then I will have my chance.
I:  But Granma from President to PM?
G: Why not. Look at what Putin is doing in Russia. They are our friends no? We can emulate them!
I:  Antony could be the next PM.
G: From one mauni to another….ha! Ha! Great idea. By the way for a change Antony spoke some sense today.
I: Did he grandma?
G: Han putr. He said about Siachen "Do not expect any dramatic announcement or decision on an issue which is very important for us, especially in the context of national security,"
I: Is there a context other than National security in Siachen Grandma?
G:  There is.
I:   Now come on Grandma…there you go with wild imaginations…..
G:  No.No. Son. Look at it this way. Siachen is given away by MMS during his visit to Pakistan in the name of peace and we get this ‘Sir Creek’ or whatever in return….
I:  That will be OK, grandma….
G: Oh son, don’t interrupt. This ‘Sir Creek’ is a bogus and does not make any difference whether we have it or they have it as the matter involves only us and Pakistan. But Siachen is different.  China has a direct influence in the region. But MMS may give it away, and if he does so, he and Sonia think he can get the Nobel Prize for peace and that will boost the chance of the Congress in the next general elections.
I:  And they say team Anna is anti National…..….but granma you can’t fool the people of India…
G:  That is the point son. 90% of Indians think Galziers are found only in the Arctic or Antartic region floating in the sea. 5% of the remaining 10% think glaciers are where winter Olympics are held – ski slopes and all. The other 4% of the 10% don’t care. It is only the soldiers and Mr. George Fernadez who was up there once, know what it really is. George Fernadez, unfortunately, will not remember anything now.
I:  What are you saying?
G:  I only hope MMS consults soldiers who have fought for over a decade in those extremely inhospitable conditions before taking decisions on Siachen  and Saltoro.
I:  How can he possibly do that Grandma…There is the Chief who has to tell him.
G: That is my point son; you will not understand…Also Pakistan wants Pakistanis and rest of the world to believe the glazier is shared by India and Pak. Your father once told me that not an ‘ice cube’ of the glazier is with Pakistan. They are just shadow boxing to divert India’s attention from Afghanistan.
I:  Come on Grandma, you are imagining again.
G:  If that be so, let MMS order a CBI inquiry into Siachen…..OMG! What did I say? I am talking like Team Anna and the opposition.
I:  Grandma. Go get some sleep now. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment