Sunday, January 20, 2013

Grandma recommends tippling


Grandma was awake. It is very unusual for her not to be in bed at 11.30 PM on a Saturday night.  No paper, no knitting, just sitting on the patio and staring into oblivion.  The night temperatures of around 18o Celsius helped. I became worried though and rushed to inquire after her health. Everything about her was fine, she assured me. However, it seems she just could not sleep.

G: (With a stunned, blank look) Have you been drinking?

I:  (A bit taken aback) come on grandma, you know I have not touched that stuff, yet.

G:   Then start drinking.....

I: (Well you don’t expect such stuff from Grandma...I reached for the phone...) Grandma are you alright, shall I call the doctor?

G:  Putr, put down the phone. The trouble is you youngsters do not read newspapers.

I: I do...

G: Yes only  page 3. Well the point is that there is a honorable SC judgment which has commuted the sentence of a rape cum murder convict from death to life sentence.

I:  So, what is the big deal grandma?

G:   He has done it because the criminal, the convict, committed the crime under influence of alcohol.

I: Ah!

G: This implies that the degree of heinousness   of any crime is inversely proportional to the state of inebriation while committing the crime.

I:  So, drunken driving is safer than sober steering, for the driver you mean....

G: Exactly, that is the derivative interpretation would you say?

I: (Grandma has never asked my opinion earlier...)er...er..er... yes true (I blurted out) . Who is to blame the judiciary or the law? (my escape route).

G:  Son, it is the law which should be blamed...the archaic law says that in any culpability, the offence and the offender is to be considered while sentencing. The argument is that in this case the offender was NOT in his complete enses while committing the crime...

I:  What a load of bullshit.....

G: You see, now you are swearing in front of your grandma...

I: Sorry grandma, I did have a glass of beer..pardon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment