Thursday, February 27, 2014

Whats Up?

Grandma was busy typing into her new smart phone and did not realize I had walked in. Of late Granny has become inseparable from her new acquisition.  It is obvious she has once again become a child with a new toy. These days she does not follow her favourite soaps on television and is not even aware that Arvind Kejriwal had become the CM of Delhi for a few weeks and resigned. She now talks about her new friends on facebook, twitter and whatsapp.

I decided to indulge her in her new passion.

I:  “Hi Granny, howdya?” (Enjoined with an obvious expression of patronizing enthusiasm)

Granny didn’t hear or she did not bother. I waited for her to disengage herself from whatever she was doing. When she finally spotted me staring at her she had the expression of a child when caught red handed doing something she shouldn’t be doing!!!!

G: (Sheepishly…) cira tuhanu ithe kita gia hai?

In a state of nervousness Granny can speak only Punjabi….

I:  It is okay granny we can discuss the net….

G: Dek putr, This facebook thing is so very fascinating…

I:  (Encouragingly …) Yes, Grandma..

G:  I found so many of my old friends and it is just like old times….

I noticed a youthful twinkle in granny’s eyes, never seen hitherto after Grandpa had gone. I probed…

I:  pind da log bhi hovega

G: Han! Balwan bhi milliassi! (The moment she said that she bit her tongue in a way a little girl does immediately after letting out a secret)

I:  Haha! Who is this Balwan, Granny.

G:  Now, I will tell you. I have to. But please don’t tell anyone. He was my crush in my teens befor I met your dada!

I: (aha! We are getting somewhere now) Oh!

G:  He is now settled in the US and he came up on facebook. We talk everyday now – of old times …..

I:  But Grandma….

G:  Listen putr, it is ok. I had told your Grandpa about this soon after our marriage…..

I:  No. No. Grandma…get onto whatsapp, it much more easier to….

G:  Son, I am already on whatsapp, and see here is a picture of Balwan…..

I:  (My jaw dropped….) Oh! (a feeble sound emitted from my throat) Shall I get you some coffee……

G: chad..chad.. Don’t be embarrassed….


(I mumbled something about getting to an appointment and left…)

No comments:

Post a Comment