Wednesday, January 26, 2011

My last salute


Le me relate my last challenge as it were, in uniform. It was June 2004 and all of 35 years to the month since I joined the National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla.  I would hang up my boots in four days. The formation was involved in a big war game in the first three of those four days.  All HQs up to Army HQ had a stake – the Chief was coming on the final day. As the man without a specific job, I was asked to be the ‘Arty adviser’ of the white force (umpiring organisation). I did not protest. What the heck – the call of duty had to be answered. As information/reports of battle trickled in, the Artillery battle was to be marked on the master map. The projected Artillery maneuvers of the antagonists were to be tracked and feasibility assessed. 

Throughout the first two days no one spoke to me and I spoke to no one. The maps were duly marked by the team of NCOs I had placed to do that job. I spent my time in and out of the umpires’ den. I obviously did not take any particular interest in the proceedings and by the morning of the final day found myself sitting in the last seat of the last of the five rows of chairs, right next to the rear exit.  By the end of next day I will be in Delhi and after a couple of days in Delhi I will be taking guard in my second innings (career) at Bangalore. It was probably while I was asking the (cricket) umpire for my leg stump guard I was awakened to the present by the Army Commander (future Chief) walking into our big tent with his entourage. 

The briefings and discussions about the battle commenced with fervour. Careers were on the anvil, I presumed. At one point someone uttered Artillery and all heads swiveled this way and that and finally held directing at me.  As I heard my name mentioned, I caught the eye of the MG Arty (We knew each other well as I always lost to him in a game of squash since decades ago). In that moment I knew he knew the situation and he knew that I knew he knew. That gave me some heart. My last battle was joined. I was at the FUP (Forming Up Place – a place where troops lined up for the attack on an objective) – yes you guessed right; here It was more like the  F--- Up Point.  I took my time walking to the objective, maneuvering through the maze of five rows of assorted chairs placed haphazardly. I was taking a long time to reach the podium, all the while hopelessly trying to formulate a brief, from memory. 

Hah! Such a pause in proceedings with focused attention on a non entity (me) served nobody’s purpose. The red herring was thrown by an enthusiastic participant who saw an opportunity and probably had something at stake. The attention was diverted. The topic was changed. For a good ten minutes I stood right in front of the audience next to the podium. No body noticed me. At the end of ten minutes it was time for the Army Commander to leave as he had to receive the Chief. By now I was right at the front entrance, a tad disappointed. As the General left, I clicked my heels and gave a smart salute to nobody in particular – that probably was my last salute.



No comments:

Post a Comment