Thursday, July 26, 2012

Road to progress Part I



My office was only 863m from my house till the other day, when we had to shift to a bigger place which is 8630m away now.  These days I can only define the time I leave my house. The time of reaching my destination, my office, varies. It depends on a whole lot of factors such as receiving a call on my mobile just as I exit from my house and move towards the car to getting into a personal conversation with the pretty little thing next door.

Once in the car, the journey to and fro from house to office is an exhilarating experience projecting the true nature of incredible India in its entire splendor and horrific. The travails of day one was something akin to what the reluctant warrior Arjuna may have experienced when the Lord is said to have revealed his true form (viswarupam) to him on the battlefield at Kurukshetra many millenniums ago. The feeling is of awe, reverence and scariness. What kept my knees apart and prevented them knocking against one another in sheer fright was the distance between the pedals for application of clutch, brake and the accelerator.  The difference here is that while Arjuna experienced it once in his long life time I endure it twice a day, six days in a week.  So after the first few days I was less scared and these days I enjoy the ordeal as I can see and feel the Nation on the roads.

The diversity of India is visible on its roads. Heavy overloaded load carriers , earth movers, JCB, buses, lorries, light load carriers, SUVs, cars of all sizes and shapes, auto-rickshaws, motor cycles, scooters, scootys, bicycles, hand carts, cows, buffaloes, dogs and pedestrians all use the same road at the same time moving at different speeds in varying degrees of urgency. Traffic moves like water – flowing into vacant areas oblivious to the environment, haphazardly so much so that one can often espy a mobiker between you and the car in front parked horizontal to your direction of travel traveling in that direction nonchalantly waiting to move into a vacant space ahead in his line of travel - traffic weaving its way literally! Everyone is in a hurry to get to wherever they are headed, others be damned.

This morning, returning from golf I found that in a narrow neck the road was dug up in a manner to allow only one vehicle to pass that stretch going either way. There was nobody around and no sign posting to indicate why the rod was dug and how long will it remain that way. Sure enough I encountered a traffic hold up in that neck on my way to the office. Exactly how the government works – in silos. Mining scams take place right on these roads as I believe each time a road is dug up, ostensibly for some work to make life for the public more comfortable, money is mined to line the pockets of all the powers in the hierarchy.

On a day when Team Anna is setting out to fast for a lost cause, we the people must reflect…and promise to change ourselves…each one of us allowing the other to pass on the road and as Indians not come in the way of one another…Turning India into a police state will not help…Just work out how many policemen will be required to monitor every individual’s activity 24X7.

The two factors to be addressed for progress are inclusive growth and education to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment