Sunday, April 22, 2012

Missile or missal


We were watching news on TV - my granny (G) and I.

G:   Son, what is this arcing against the night sky like a cricket ball on fire, the IPL match starts only at 8.

I:    Oh granny! It is the launch of Agni V.

G:   Is it something to rival IPL.

I:    What you are watching is an historical event happening today.

G:   you mean, something that should have happened years ago is happening today?

I:   Granny, let me explain. Agni V is a missile that can target places in Africa, Europe and China. It can even carry a nuclear warhead. What you just saw is the first stage rocket detaching from the missile and falling to the ground.

G:    But then why were people on TV jumping as if a six has been hit?

I:     Granny, you watch too much IPL. Those people are scientists who made the missile.

G:     But I thought scientists were serious people who spoke with a straight face. These guys look happy and excited like cricket fans and flash the victory sign like politicians.

I:       Look granny, we can now fire nuclear warheads into China, Africa or Europe.

G:      Oh! Great. Who will pull the trigger? The Army, Navy or Air Force?

I:     That does not matter. But whoever has to pull the trigger has to get permission from the PM, Manmohan Singh.

G:  In that case we might as well have not made the missile!

I:   But granny….

G:  (interrupting) putr, at vajgaya, chal ipl lagaa!

G:  (after a while….indignantly) I told you to switch to IPL……

I:   Granny, this is IPL…and that man there with a goatee is Vijay Mallya of RCB and not a scientist. The other fellow with a similar goatee in the frame is also an official of RCB and again not a scientist.

G:   It seems the trend is reversed these days …tell me son why was AGNI V not launched from Chinnaswamy stadium? Or that …DY Patil stadium in New Mumbai if the missile had to be fired into the sea. Then the BCCI could have marketed the launch. With the proceeds all scientists could have become rich. The whole stadium would have applauded and waved placards with 4000 and 6000…..

I:   You are not funny granny…

G: And son, I believe Kaushik Basu, the chief economic adviser to our PM has fired a missile in Newyork, US today. He said that there will be no economic reforms till a new government is sworn in at Delhi!!!
I:  So?

G: So what, you ask? Ha! So ignorant you are. It has created explosions in the USA and at home, without your missiles... All political parties are agitated. There will be fire works on prime time TV where anchors will be seeking answers and looking at larger pictures. Some bombs may also be dropped after obtaining them from reliable ‘sources’.

I:  But granny all prime time TV is talking of some plane crash in Pakistan.

G:   Son, you see so much all round destruction without a missile…..amen

No comments:

Post a Comment